Thursday, August 25, 2011

BSR Potluck

Oh here comes a band post!!

If you did not know, I was in marching band in high school. Let me start by saying it was one of the best things of my youth and I almost missed it.

BACKSTORY:

My brother was in band. I had learned clarinet in elementary school but I gave it up for choir. But because my mom was a single mom, if she went on a band trip with my brother, most of the time, I was with her. He was a senior when I was a freshman. So we went on band trips and I made friends with the other kids. He graduated and sophomore year began for me. I wasn't in band so when anything related to that happened, all my friends were gone. It didn't take me long to realize that that sucked. I had already missed band camp, but with my mom's ok, I went and asked the band director if I could still join. He said yes, but as part of the pit (marimbas, bass drums and other non-marching instruments). Cool with me, I just wanted to belong. That day a cymbal player came to practice with a broken arm. Guess who took his place on the field? Me! With no idea how to march. Somehow I learned. I did that for a week, then the kid got cleared to come back. But I didn't go back to the pit, because a trombone player showed up with a broken leg. So I took her spot the rest of the season...and I basically had to learn the show again because I was filling in in a different spot. Go me!

In the off season, I learned how to play the trombone and the next year I got to go to band camp and learn how to march and play! (Band Camp is 2 weeks of marching HELL because it's in the Californian summer heat!) I continued in band the rest of high school and even made Horn Line Captain my senior year. That means I take over the band when no drummajors are around and am a glorified section leader. So fun!

END OF BACKSTORY

At the end of band camp every year, there is a potluck, where family, friends and alumni are invited to come and see the band perform and how they are doing. That was tonight. It was hot, but I love going because it gives me a chance to remember the achievements I made during high school and to show my kids what I was a part of. I also get to see old friends and reminisce about the "good 'ol days".

It was a lot of fun and I enjoyed seeing everyone. Maybe we can make it out to a football game or band competition this year. THAT would be awesome!

No comments: