Sunday, May 18, 2008

Grandparents

I love my grandparents. They are some of my favorite people in the world. Let me tell you a little bit about them.



My parents got divorced when I was 18 months old, so my memories don't consist of a mother and a father. It was always my mom and my grandparents. (My brother too, but that's a different story.) Anyways, my mom was a single mom who had to work ALOT in order to make ends meet. So my grandparents became big caregivers to my brother and I. It was weird if we DIDN'T have dinner with with. Grandpa was our father figure and Grandma was a second mom to us. I've always been able to talk to my grandma...not about everything, mind you, but she is someone I turned to for advice if my mom wasn't around. I didn't ask much for advice, but sometimes it happened.

My grandparents are getting older now, and they have some of the problems associated with that. My grandpa has issues with his back, so it's harder for him to goet around, although he tries, much to our dismay. I almost lost my grandma 3 1/2 years ago. She was put in the hospital for congestive heart failure, but came out alright. She was diagnosed with pulminary fibrosis, which is scarring of the lungs. If she doesn't take her medicine for breathing, she can end up right back in the hospital. She also has back issues...arthritis and now we found the same issue my grandpa has. Her discs in her back are seperating slightly, which makes it hard for her to walk. And she has slight macular degeneration in her eyes. It's treatable, but it's getting harder for her to read.

Okay, I'm sorry for this laundry list of illnesses. In spite of all this, my grandparents always have a smile on their faces and they LOVE seeing Ethan. My grandpa gets a sparkle in his eyes when he looks at my son. It makes me feel wonderful to know that they got to meet him. I can truly see the love for him in my grandparents.

Most people know that I lost my other set of grandparents last year. They passed away within 4 months of each other. Their love for each other is such a big example to me. They only knew Ethan for 2 short years. I look forward to the day when we are reunited again as a family so they can get to know him better. This is also why I treasure the time I have with my remaining grandparents. I don't know how much time they have left on this earth, and I want to spend as much time as I can with them. I love you!




Grandma reading a book to Ethan.

Poppy and Ethan petting Tammy.



No comments: