Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Relief Society Chorister

I mentioned briefly in one post that I recently got called as the RS Chorister. This is a good calling for me and a bad calling. More good than bad though. Good news is that I actually know how to conduct music and I know how to sing and all that. Bad news is I never really conducted in front of people before. End of my Senior year of high school, I tried out for drummajor of the marching band. I didn't make it, but I became Hornline Captain, which is like 5th runner up...at least, that year it was because we had 3 drummajors and an asst. I would step up if all of them got hurt or something. Anyways, I digress.

The other bad thing is that I am really shy. I mean REALLY. I choose not to do things because I'm afraid to embarass myself. This might sound funny to those who know me, because if we are close, the first thing I do is make a clown of myself. Anyways, I joined choir to come out of my shell, but I missed out on alot of solo's and such because I would always be shy during auditions. I don't know if it's fear a failure or what. Anyways, now I get to stand up in front of a bunch of women and try to lead them in spiritual music. I am excited about it, and scared at the same time, because they also look to me for the notes of the song too. I had better know my music.

The other thing is that I have to call the teachers of the week's lesson and ask them what Hymns they want. If they don't know, guess who has to pick them. You got it! ME! Which is fine, but that means I have to read the lessons every week. darn. I guess the Lord knows me well, because this is what I need to get my butt in gear. I am required to attend all of church now. Don't get me wrong, this is a good thing. I'm not complaining, just merely stating facts.

Anyways, I have the hymns planned out for Sunday already! Yay me! I just need to let someone in RS know so they can print it. I picked an interesting song for our practice hymn. It's #284 If You Could Hie To Kolob. If you have a hymnal, I recommend checking it out. I found a couple of versions on iTunes, and I like how it sounds. I kept coming back to it, so I decided it must be the one. Wish me luck. It's my first week in my new calling!

At least I know that at church, everyone is rooting for me to do a good job. And that makes me feel wonderful.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I have immense faith in you that you can do a good job...the Lord always helps those to whom he extends callings to...so I know that you will be great! Good luck with everything, and if you ever need help, I am here...since I am the Education counselor in our RS presidency, I have to deal with the music too...so you can bounce questions/ideas off of me (or off the Education counselor in your ward too, of course!).

Pip said...

It was good getting to talk with you too! I loved seeing Ethan in action, he's a cutie. Now that I know you have a blog I'll be spying on you now and then :)
Talk to you soon!